Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cedon1

Is My State-Initiated Studen Loan Forgiveness Taxable?

This summer the State of Michigan had some issues with the IRS built up since the 1980s. As a result they had two options - either cut a check to the IRS or cancel some student loans. They chose to do the latter and, as a result I received 5 1099-Cs totaling  $17,325 (Box 2) in cancellation and $1,305 in interest (Box 3). Box 6, the Identifiable Event Code on all of them was "C".

I entered this into Turbo Tax which resulted in a "tax bomb" turning my $1000 refund into a $2,850 tax bill and my Michigan $20 refund into a $716 tax bill. All Turbo Tax let me enter in were the sums of Boxes 2 & 3, nothing else. Nor was there any way to indicate this is was student debt either.

While trying to figure out this situation, I read that the COVID-19 relief package passed in March of last year, the one that resulted in a third $1,400 payment to taxpayers also made student loan forgiveness tax-free through 2025. Since this is at odds with what Turbo Tax is telling me, definitely need some help. I definitely do not want that tax bomb to go off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Is My State-Initiated Studen Loan Forgiveness Taxable?

The American Rescue Plan provides relief to students with government and federal student loans by allowing students with forgiven loan debt to exclude the discharged debt from their taxable income for tax years 2021 through 2025.

If your student loan forgiveness qualifies, then you do not report the form 1099-C on your tax return.

Please read this TurboTax blog for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies