mwage2007

Interest expense on loans taken out in a s corp

I am using TT for business - filing the 1120S. The company took out loans to cover operating expenses this past year. Can we deduct the interest we paid on the loans? When I entered the interest expense into the deductions section of TT, the program asked me if I need to file 1099-INT. I thought 1099-INT was if we collected interest, not paid it. I'm confused - any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

KrisD

It depends on who you are paying the interest to. If you have a commercial loan, the interest is deductible as a business expense and no 1099-INT would be issued. Sometimes an individual lends money to an entity he or she has an interest in. In that case, the S-Corp would issue a 1099-INT to the individual that made the loan. 

KrisD

mwage2007

Thank you! That makes sense - it is a commercial loan.
KrisD

Thank you for using TurboTax.