Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saetra

If the college semester started in Dec 2018, I was considered full-time by the college, and received a bill in 2018, can I claim this in 2018 if loans paid in Jan 2019?

I'm unsure of when I should actually claim this on my taxes. I did not receive a 1098-T form from the college because it seems they file based on reporting payments received. I reached out to their financial services to confirm if they considered me full-time in December, which they do.

As shown in my cumulative account statement from the University, they received my loans on January 1st, 2019.

I've seen other similar questions about Spring semesters and bills received in December, but  I'm not sure if me actually being in school full time starting December 2018 through May 2019 will change whether or not I should report on this yet.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If the college semester started in Dec 2018, I was considered full-time by the college, and received a bill in 2018, can I claim this in 2018 if loans paid in Jan 2019?

If your tuition was paid by loans only in January 2019, you can only claim these education expenses for tax year 2019 (on your next year's tax return).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If your tuition was paid by loans only in January 2019, you can only claim these education expenses for tax year 2019 (on your next year's tax return).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies