Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my daughter got a partial refund from a college that is not reflected on the 1098-t, where can I enter the refunded amount?

The refunded amount resulted in a large difference between the 1099-Q and the 1098-T.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If my daughter got a partial refund from a college that is not reflected on the 1098-t, where can I enter the refunded amount?

The amount used for claiming education are qualified education expenses you actually paid to the school in 2023 which should be shown in box 1 of form 1098-T.

If your box 1 does not show the correct amount paid, when filling out your form 1098-T in TurboTax, just enter the amount in box 1 of your form 1098-T on the entry screen.

Under box 1, on the 1098-T screen is a radio button: This is not what (student name) paid to this school. Click on that and you will be given a chance to enter what was actually paid in 2023, i.e. net of the refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. The refunded amount resulted in a large difference between the 1099-Q and the 1098-T?

A. That's not unusual.  The 1098-T only shows tuition and fees (box 1) and scholarships (box5).

Room and board (R&B), books, a computer and other course materials do not show on the 1098-T but are also qualified expenses for the 529 plan distribution, shown on your1099-Q. 

Educational expenses can be allocated to the 529 distribution, scholarships or the tuition credit, as needed for the best tax benefits. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies