tuckercraig

If I was a student part of the year can I still claim student?

KarenM90

To be eligible, you or your dependent must be enrolled in an approved educational university or college.

You must be enrolled for at least one academic period, such as a semester, during the tax year. 

According to the IRSfull-time students are children under the age of 19 or an adult under the age of 24, who attends an educational program at least five months per calendar year.

Hal_Al

"Student" isn't a tax status.  So, depending on what you are trying to do, the answer is maybe. 

If you want to claim the tuition credit, there are two basic requirements; 1. You actually paid tuition (or other qualified expenses) and 2. you were actually an enrolled student, for any period (it does not have to be a full quarter or semester). 

If you parents want to claim you as a dependent, under the qualifying child rules, then you must have been a full time student for parts of 5 calendar months (e.g. Jan 31 to May 1 counts as 5 months).