Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I just graduated college, should I still get the American Opportunity Credit? Or should I ignore it since it can only be used towards educational expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

If I just graduated college, should I still get the American Opportunity Credit? Or should I ignore it since it can only be used towards educational expenses?

You can claim it 4 years.   Did you have educational expenses in 2023 or get a 1098-T?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

It's not clear why you're asking the question.

Q. Or should I ignore it since it can only be used towards educational expenses?

A. If you did not actually pay any expenses, in 2023, you can not claim the American Opportunity Credit (AOTC) on your 2023 tax return.  For example, if you pay for the spring 2023 term, in December 2022; you shoulda claimed that on your 2022 tax return. 

On the other hand, if 2023 expenses were paid in 2023, by loans or scholarship, you may still be able to claim the AOTC.  

There is a four time limit to claiming the AOTC.  Since graduation year is usually the 5th calendar year for an undergrad degree, you (or your parents) may have already reached the limit, and you are no longer eligible for it. But, if expenses were paid, you would probably still be eligible for the non-refundable Lifetime Learning Credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies