turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

melomiku

If I didn't receive a 1098-T (for CA community clg), should I have entered grant $ minus BOG waivers (& exp) on my return as income? Counselor said don't add grants, but?

We were told that a 1098-T was not applicable bc grant $ was non-taxable and no money was paid for tuition, but everything I read said that's only if all expenses are qualified education exp, so I added grants minus the amount that was waived for tuition, and now I'm worried I've given myself income that isn't really income and it'll mess up my health insurance qualifications. Help!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I didn't receive a 1098-T (for CA community clg), should I have entered grant $ minus BOG waivers (& exp) on my return as income? Counselor said don't add grants, but?

If you had no qualified education expenses any scholarship you received is taxable income. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Should I have entered grant $ minus BOG waivers* (& exp) on my return as income?

A.  Yes. Scholarship amounts that exceed qualified expenses are taxable income to the student.  "Qualified Educational expenses" (QEE), for scholarship money to be tax free are tuition, fees, books and other course materials, including a required computer. Room and board and other living expenses are not QEE. 

Scholarship money is a hybrid between earned and unearned income. It is earned income for purposes of the $13,850 filing requirement ($14,600 for 2024) and the dependent standard deduction calculation (earned income + $400 ($450 for 2024)).  It is not earned income for the kiddie tax and other purposes (e.g. EIC).  For grad students and post grad fellows, scholarship, stipend and fellowship income is earned income ("compensation") for IRA contributions.

*California College Promise Grant (CCPG) formerly known as BOG (Board of Governors) fee waiver

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies