Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amgross00

If I am a full time student and my parents provided 50% of my support but didn't claim me as a dependent, am I eligible for the American Opportunity Credit?

The turbo tax question says "can you be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  I answered yes because I can be claimed. Should I have answered no, since I wasn't claimed?  It looks like this needs to be answered no in order to get the AOC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If I am a full time student and my parents provided 50% of my support but didn't claim me as a dependent, am I eligible for the American Opportunity Credit?

The program will ask two questions. 

"Can someone claim you?"

"Will someone claim you?"

You would answer Yes to Can and No to Will. 

The American Opportunity Tax Credit for a dependent student not claimed is only the non-refundable portion. It can reduce your tax liability but is not refunded for any remaining credit after that. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. If I am a full time student and my parents provided 50% of my support but didn't claim me as a dependent, am I eligible for the American Opportunity Credit (AOC)?

A. Simple answer: No. But, maybe. See below*. 

Q. The turbo tax question says "can you be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  I answered yes because I can be claimed. Should I have answered no, since I wasn't claimed? 

A. No.  After you answer that question yes, you'll get a drop down that asks if you will actually be claimed. Answer that question no.  That will allow you to claim the non-refundable portion of the AOC.

*While technically there is a provision that allows you to claim a tuition credit, from a practical matter it seldom works out.  A student, under age 24, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he/she supports himself by working . She cannot be supporting herself on student loans & grants and 529 plans and parental support.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit.  

If the student actually has a tax liability, there is a provision to allow him to claim a non-refundable tuition credit. But then the parent must forgo claiming the student as a dependent, and the $500 other dependent credit.  The student must still indicate that he can be claimed as a dependent, on his return. This is worth up to $2500 (AOC shifts to all non refundable), if you have that much tax liability. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies