Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carjulros

I was able to claim the Tuition and Fees deduction in 2016 for my adult daughter. I paid more money for that in 2017, but TurboTax says I can claim nothing.

My gross income is under $80,000 and my daughter, who is a full-time student and my dependent, is 27 years old. I paid for her tuition completely out of pocket in 2017.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I was able to claim the Tuition and Fees deduction in 2016 for my adult daughter. I paid more money for that in 2017, but TurboTax says I can claim nothing.

the Tuition and Fees deduction was not renewed after 2016. It is not available for 2017. Your income is too high for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

I assume your student-dependent is a grad student and that is why TurboTax is not giving you the American Opportunity credit.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

the Tuition and Fees deduction was not renewed after 2016. It is not available for 2017. Your income is too high for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

I assume your student-dependent is a grad student and that is why TurboTax is not giving you the American Opportunity credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies