Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I took college courses in '23. The school hasnt processed my aid, so I havent paid anything for tuition nor gotten a 1098T. Will this just be filed on next years return?

I took 3 courses from October to December (and am still actively taking classes to this day). The school keeps saying to not pay anything because they still have not processed my financial aid. And there is no 1098-T availble according to my financial account on the school's portal.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

I took college courses in '23. The school hasnt processed my aid, so I havent paid anything for tuition nor gotten a 1098T. Will this just be filed on next years return?

Oh my, what a mess!

Q. Will this just be filed on next years return?

A. No.  

The requirement to claim an education credit is that Qualified Educational expenses (QEE) (tuition, fees, books, a required computer, and other course materials} were PAID for in 2023.  Whether paid by you, your parents,  loans or scholarships all count as paid. 

You may have to file an extension and wait for the school to figure this out.

But, "not processed" is not the same as not received. So, the financial aid could (probably) be considered as "paid" in 2023. But, what you pay, out of pocket, in 2024, for 2023 courses, cannot be counted for either a 2023 or 2024 credit. 

Is you "financial aid" scholarships or loans or some of each. It is possible to claim a credit, with scholarships, by making some of the scholarship taxable. 

Does your financial account, at the school's portal, show the info needed to file for a credit.  

Will you be claiming the credit or your parents. "3 courses" doesn't sound like full time, but should be "half time or more". 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies