Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Xiaoyi
Returning Member

I recieved my PhD funding from an Illinois University as Fellowship and is not taxable by federal. I am wondering where to file it as state form and/or as deductions.

According to tax.illinois if the fellowship is not taxable by federal it is also not taxable by the state, so I am wondering why it still says IL due some money as fellowship is my only income, and the system does not seems to recognize it correctly
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I recieved my PhD funding from an Illinois University as Fellowship and is not taxable by federal. I am wondering where to file it as state form and/or as deductions.

Who says it is not taxable by federal (what's your source)? What makes it not taxable?  How was it reported to you that you are even entering it (1098-T, 1099-Misc, 1099-NeC, something else)? 

Scholarships, grants and fellowships that pay for qualified educational expenses (QEE - tuition, fees, books and other course materials) is tax free.  Scholarship amounts that exceed QEE is taxable income, on the student’s tax return. "Stipends" are usually taxable. 

Xiaoyi
Returning Member

The university tax team said "You have a scholarship US which never has any tax documents issued for it" and the HR office did not take any tax withholding for me. I did not have a W-2 and no 1042-S and I have no idea how to file my state tax as to put my income as "fellowship". Federal I can do it under miscellaneous income

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies