Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recently made a withdrawal from a SC 529 plan to pay for my child's k-12 tuition, which exceeds the 10k limit. Can I recontribute the excess amount back to her account?

I had forgotten about the 10k limit for k-12 distributions when I made the withdrawal earlier this month and want to recontribute the amount in excess of 10k back into her account so I do not get penalized and taxed on the earnings. I read in some postings on the internet (Forbes Adivsors) that I could return the amount as long as it is made within 60 days of the distribution. I contacted the SC 529 plan customer service and one person said I could not recontribute and a second one said I could return the money as long as it is within 60 days of distribution. I'm hoping someone in this community can provide assistance by providing a more definitive answer. Thank you.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

I recently made a withdrawal from a SC 529 plan to pay for my child's k-12 tuition, which exceeds the 10k limit. Can I recontribute the excess amount back to her account?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies