Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received scholarships of about $20,000 from private donors and churches, which exceeded my tuition costs (6,000). Is it taxable and where would I enter it if it is?

It was used for tuition, rent, food, etc., and was the largest source of income for us, but it was donations, not earned wages

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I received scholarships of about $20,000 from private donors and churches, which exceeded my tuition costs (6,000). Is it taxable and where would I enter it if it is?

You will enter your total scholarship amount that you received in the Education section of your return.  This is the same area where you enter your Form 1098-T information and your other education expenses.

If it turns out that you had more scholarship income than expenses, then the excess will be taxable.  The taxable amount will automatically be placed on your Form 1040.  You will not need to do anything additional to report it as income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You will enter your total scholarship amount that you received in the Education section of your return.  This is the same area where you enter your Form 1098-T information and your other education expenses.

If it turns out that you had more scholarship income than expenses, then the excess will be taxable.  The taxable amount will automatically be placed on your Form 1040.  You will not need to do anything additional to report it as income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies