turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

monet0427

I received income as a fellow for a university after graduation. This was given to me in the form of a scholarship and I was not issued a 1098-T form. How do I file this?

My school says that they will not issue a W-2 or a 1098-T form and that I have to calculate the taxes need to be paid by myself.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I received income as a fellow for a university after graduation. This was given to me in the form of a scholarship and I was not issued a 1098-T form. How do I file this?

You can report it as scholarship income in the Education section.   A scholarship is generally an amount paid or allowed to a student at an educational institution for the purpose of study. A fellowship grant is generally an amount paid or allowed to an individual for the purpose of study or research. 

You must include in gross income:

• Amounts used for incidental expenses, such as room and board, travel, and optional equipment.
  • Amounts received as payments for teaching, research, or other services required as a condition for receiving the scholarship or fellowship grant. However, you don't need to include in gross income any amounts you receive for services that are required by the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program, the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Program, or a comprehensive student work-learning-service program (as defined in section 448(e) of the Higher Education Act of 1965) operated by a work college.

To do this is TurboTax, go to the Deductions and Credits section and select START next to Scholarships in the Education section.   TurboTax will calculate any taxes you owe on the income and properly report it on your tax return.    You will use the 1098-T section, but you do not need to 1098-T to enter expenses and/or scholarships in that section.    Just answer NO to the 1098-T question.  You can also search for 1098-T to be taken to the directly to the Education section.     Once you answer NO to the 1098-T question, you will be taken to the Education Summary (each student on the return has their own summary page) where you can click on Edit next to Scholarship/Grants line on that page.  

How to Report - TurboTax will handle this part; all you need to do is enter the amounts as described above.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies