Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received Employer-Provided Assistance for education. On my W-2, it is in the earnings summary box. Do I need to include this for receiving a scholarship or grant?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I received Employer-Provided Assistance for education. On my W-2, it is in the earnings summary box. Do I need to include this for receiving a scholarship or grant?

No, if it is included in Box 1, you are being taxed on the income so you do NOT include that as financial aid.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  I received Employer-Provided Assistance for education. Do I need to include this for receiving a scholarship or grant?

A. Maybe. But, it will be entered as employer assistance, not scholarship. 

First you need to understand what's going on.  There is no "earnings summary box" on your W-2. If all the employer education assistance was already included in box 1 of your W-2, you do not report the assistance, again, anywhere on your tax return. Since  that money was subject to tax, it is treated as your after tax money and you can claim a tuition credit based on that payment.

But, it is unusual for all the employer assistance to be in box 1, of the W-2. Employers are allowed to give you up to $5250 of assistance tax free. That is the first $5250 is not shown in box 1, or anywhere else, on the W-2 (rarely it may be in box 14).

The school may or may not have already included the assistance in box 5 of the form 1098-T (if your employer paid the school directly).  No further adjustment is needed, in TT, if the amount was less than $5250.  Otherwise, the follow up interview will ask if you had  employer assistance not already shown.  Enter the amount there (but not more than $5250), rather than as scholarship. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies