Solved: I received a weird message saying no one qualifies for a tuition and fees deduction in 2018 and I have friends that have received their return. I don’t understand

I received a weird message saying no one qualifies for a tuition and fees deduction in 2018 and I have friends that have received their return. I don’t understand

The tuition & fees deduction was not renewed for 2018 ... your friends may have gotten the American Opportunity or Lifetime Learning credits. 

How do we apply to receive either?

Are you a dependent?

No

Do I have to be?

If you are not claimed as a dependent and are self supporting thru work not scholarships or grants then complete the education expenses section starting with entering the 1098-T.