Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aggiefast

I received a 1099Q. The earnings should be not be taxed, yet I am paying taxes using turbotax

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JaimeG

I received a 1099Q. The earnings should be not be taxed, yet I am paying taxes using turbotax

In order for the Distribution to remain Tax-Deferred, it must be used in its entirety to pay for Qualified Education Expenses. If you received and reported and Scholarships or grants, this will create an adjustment to these expenses, therefore making a portion of the earnings taxable. 

To confirm that you have accounted for and entered all of your Qualified Education Expenses in TurboTax, please follow the steps below: 

1. Log into your TurboTax account and access your current Tax Return
  2. From the Welcome Screen find and click on Federal Taxes when the secondary screen appears click on Deductions and Credits
  3. From the Deductions and Credits section find the Education Section and click on Visit All
  4. You will walk once again through the interview the TurboTax provides for he Education Section, if there is anything that you have missed, you will not be able to enter this information. When you get to the Education Expenses Summary page Stop and click on Edit next to your name. 
  5. In this page you will now be able review the Education Expenses that are Qualified for 529 and Coverdell ESA purposes. 

FYI: Qualified Education Expenses for 529 and Coverdell ESA purposes: 

• Tuition and fees;
  • Books, supplies and equipment; Computers and Software
  • Room and board expenses for students enrolled at least half-time only to the extent they are not more than the greater of
    • The allowance for room and board included in the cost of attendance for federal financial aid purposes, or
    • The actual amount charged if the student resides in housing owned or operated by the eligible education institution; and
  • Expenses for special needs services required by a special needs beneficiary and incurred in connection with enrollment or attendance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies