Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Curious2

I received a 1098-T I am self employed as a Hairdresser and the 1098-T was for a Barber do I put under business expense or 1098-T

If I put the 1098-T in personal section it gives an additional education credit is it considered a business expense or 1098T section.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a 1098-T I am self employed as a Hairdresser and the 1098-T was for a Barber do I put under business expense or 1098-T

Yes, you can enter it as an educational expense.  If you paid for it, you are still entitled to the education credit even if it was because you wanted to expand your business as long as you meet the other requirements for the education credits. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Was it for you to go to Barber school or was it for someone else?
Curious2

Already went to Cosmetology School years ago.   This year went to Barber School to expand business but if put the 1098-T were Turbo Tax asks gives an additional education credit. (Which I do not think I am suppose to take)   On the chart of accounts for the Hairdresser income put under continuing education so can't put both places or accounting for it 2x. I am thinking it would be considered continuing education under business expense.  Was unsure

If the barber school qualifies you for a new business you can’t deduct it on schedule C but if your school is a qualified educational institution you can claim Lifetime Learning Credit.

No, don't put it both places, just one. You can enter it in either, but if the education section gives you the best refund, you can enter it there.
Curious2

Thank you so much

Yes, you can enter it as an educational expense.  If you paid for it, you are still entitled to the education credit even if it was because you wanted to expand your business as long as you meet the other requirements for the education credits. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies