Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1098-t from my college. When I included it I went from a 325 return to owing 400. Do I have to pay taxes on scholarships used for tuition?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

I received a 1098-t from my college. When I included it I went from a 325 return to owing 400. Do I have to pay taxes on scholarships used for tuition?

Q. Do I have to pay taxes on scholarships used for tuition?

A. No. Scholarships that pay for qualified educational expenses (QEE - tuition, fees, books and other course materials) is tax free.  Scholarship amounts that exceed QEE is taxable income, on the student’s tax return.

If box 5 of the 1098-T exceeds box 1, TurboTax (TT) will treat the difference as taxable income, unless you enter additional QEE at books and other expenses. Room and board are not qualified expenses. 

Sometimes TurboTax (TT) will allocate some of the tuition to the tuition credit.  If you aren't eligible for the tuition credit, TT may assume that some of the tuition was used by the parent's on their return. In the interview, you should encounter a screen titled “Amount Used to Calculate Education Credit”, verify the amount you want to use or change it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies