Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid for tuition for continuing education as a minister (clincal pastoral education: CPE). I took this course which is required in order to become a chaplain.

I have been an unemployed minister (except for a few times in 2016 substitute preaching). In order to become a certified hospital chaplain, I was required to take a course, CPE, "Clinical Pastoral Education" for 16 weeks, which cost me $850 in tuition and approximately $75 in book costs.

Where do I enter this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I paid for tuition for continuing education as a minister (clincal pastoral education: CPE). I took this course which is required in order to become a chaplain.

If you performed work as an employee, you would report job expenses, including education on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions. (Pre TCJA rules). If you are self-employed, meaning you earned income not reported on a Form W-2. You would report income and expenses on Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business.See information from the IRS below as to what you may claim as an employee.

• Topic 513 - Work-Related Education Expenses

To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves your job skills or (2) that your employer or a law requires to keep your salary, status, or job. However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education can't be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business.

Although the education must relate to your present work, education expenses incurred during temporary absence from your job may also be deductible. After your temporary absence, you must return to the same kind of work. Usually, absence from work for one year or less is considered temporary.

Expenses that you can deduct include:

• Tuition, books, supplies, lab fees, and similar items
  • Certain transportation and travel costs, and
  • Other educational expenses, such as the cost of research and typing

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If you performed work as an employee, you would report job expenses, including education on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions. (Pre TCJA rules). If you are self-employed, meaning you earned income not reported on a Form W-2. You would report income and expenses on Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business.See information from the IRS below as to what you may claim as an employee.

• Topic 513 - Work-Related Education Expenses

To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that (1) maintains or improves your job skills or (2) that your employer or a law requires to keep your salary, status, or job. However, even if the education meets either of these tests, the education can't be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business or that you need to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business.

Although the education must relate to your present work, education expenses incurred during temporary absence from your job may also be deductible. After your temporary absence, you must return to the same kind of work. Usually, absence from work for one year or less is considered temporary.

Expenses that you can deduct include:

• Tuition, books, supplies, lab fees, and similar items
  • Certain transportation and travel costs, and
  • Other educational expenses, such as the cost of research and typing
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies