Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid for a course outside my graduate school that I got credit for. How do I deduct this on my taxes since it is not on my 1098-T?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I paid for a course outside my graduate school that I got credit for. How do I deduct this on my taxes since it is not on my 1098-T?

The amount used for claiming education are qualified education expenses you actually paid to the school in 2023 which should be shown in box 1 of form 1098-T.

If your box 1 does not show the correct amount paid, when filling out your form 1098-T in TurboTax, just enter the amount in box 1 of your form 1098-T on the entry screen.

Under box 1, on the 1098-T screen is a radio button: This is not what (student name) paid to this school. Click on that and you will be given a chance to enter what was actually paid in 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you didn’t get a 1098-T the school might not be an eligible education institution so you would not be able to claim education credit. The school can tell you if it is an eligible institution and you can check this data base. 

https://ope.ed.gov/dapip/

I paid for a course that is not listed on the database you gave me, but ultimately received credit from my university for that course. The course was: Homepage - Washington Campus (washcampus.edu). I did not receive a 1098-T from this institution. 

If it is not in the data base and/or the school can’t confirm that it is an eligible education institution for the credit, you can’t claim that credit. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Another way to enter it:

At the "Here's your education summary" screen, click on the add new school link under Tuition.

Also, see page 22 of Pub 970 regarding 1098-T as well as eligible education institution. 
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies