Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zcoolest

I own a coop and I received 1098 from my lender and from my Coop. Do I combine amounts from both forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I own a coop and I received 1098 from my lender and from my Coop. Do I combine amounts from both forms?

It depends. 

Ask the Cooperative Housing Corporation. 

Your portion of the interest the cooperative pays is your deduction, but the interest on your loan to purchase the stock may or may not be a deduction depending of the rules of the corporation as well as state/local law. 

According to the IRS:

“A qualified home includes stock in a cooperative housing corporation owned by a tenant-stockholder. This applies only if the tenant-stockholder is entitled to live in the house or apartment because of owning stock in the cooperative.”

“In some cases, you can't use your cooperative housing stock to secure a debt because of either:

• Restrictions under local or state law, or
  • Restrictions in the cooperative agreement (other than restrictions in which the main purpose is to permit the tenant-
    stockholder to treat unsecured debt as secured debt).

However, you can treat a debt as secured by the stock to the extent that the proceeds are used to buy the stock under the allocation of interest rules.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies