turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmcbonnie

I have two sons attending college at the same school, why is the education tax credit for one son, so much more than the other son's?

Both son's are enrolled in the same school, live in the same place, both are full-time.  But I am getting $2,333 for one and $1,498 for the other?  Both show American Opportunity Credit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
abrown19

I have two sons attending college at the same school, why is the education tax credit for one son, so much more than the other son's?

The credit is only available to students in their first four years of attendance, who enroll at least half time for one academic period during the tax year and do not possess a felony drug conviction.

The credit amount includes the costs you incur for tuition, fees and course-related books, supplies and equipment necessary to attend the institution. If the credit amount exceeds the amount of tax you owe, you can receive up to $1,000 of the credit as a refund.

If none of this information applies to your situation, consider contacting a TurboTax Live tax expert for assistance.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
abrown19

The credit is only available to students in their first four years of attendance, who enroll at least half time for one academic period during the tax year and do not possess a felony drug conviction.

The credit amount includes the costs you incur for tuition, fees and course-related books, supplies and equipment necessary to attend the institution. If the credit amount exceeds the amount of tax you owe, you can receive up to $1,000 of the credit as a refund.

If none of this information applies to your situation, consider contacting a TurboTax Live tax expert for assistance.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies