Solved: I have a 1098-E on my sons student loans. I am paying the loan but it has my son's name and SS # on it . Can I use it on my taxes?

mrbill3899

I have a 1098-E on my sons student loans. I am paying the loan but it has my son's name and SS # on it . Can I use it on my taxes?

DexterS

Unfortunately, no.

In order for you to take a deduction, it must be your legal obligation and you must have made the payments.

Because this has you son's number and name on the document it appears that it's his obligation.  If he didn't make the payments, he can't deduct it either.

DexterS

Unfortunately, no.