Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I graduated from college last summer and moved from KY to IN. Since I only worked ~6 months in college last year, should I select "Still work at (My university)" ??????

My colleague commented I should still fill out my taxes as a student since I was a student for part of 2023. Even If I moved and got a big job? I'm confused
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I graduated from college last summer and moved from KY to IN. Since I only worked ~6 months in college last year, should I select "Still work at (My university)" ??????

There isn't a special filing status for students.

However, there are some special things that can apply the first year after graduation from university or high school. 

If you graduated from undergraduate college studies or high school, you are under age 24, and you were in school for at least five months of the year in 2023, you may still be a dependent of your parents and they may still be claiming education-related credits that require you to be their tax dependent.  This is even if you have a nice, well-paying job. 

If this is the case, you want to be certain that you indicate that you may be claimed as a dependent when you prepare your return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for your help!! I am 28 years old and completely independent. I am a foreigner tho, (Employment Authorization status). So I guess I can just fill it out regularly?  Only updating my information like moving, new job etc? Do I still claim "Still work at (My university)"?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You do not need to indicate that you still work at your university unless you had income from the institution in 2023 such as teaching assistant income, fellowships, etc. 

You'll just file a "regular" tax return - and you can return to this forum at any time with additional questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies