Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered my 1098-Q info for a 529 Qualified Tuition Program, and my tax liability increased! This is not supposed to be taxed. What went wrong?

TurboTax does not ask whether the money was for qualified education expenses, but all of it was for qualified education expenses, which means that none of it should be taxed.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I entered my 1098-Q info for a 529 Qualified Tuition Program, and my tax liability increased! This is not supposed to be taxed. What went wrong?

Thank you so much, Marilyn. This is helpful and also great news.  But, are there income limitations to 529 plans? What I mean is: if my income exceeds a certain amount, am I required to pay taxes on 1099-Q distributions whether or not they are for qualifying education expenses?

View solution in original post

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Not as far as Federal taxes are concerned.  If you have a state-specific 529 plan, there may be some state restrictions.

Here's some info related to 529 State Limits. 

@jzollinger-zolli 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Whoops, it was a 1099-Q that I entered for the 529 plan, not a 1098.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If the entire distribution reported on your 1099-Q was for Qualified Education Expenses, you don't need to enter it in your tax return. 

Just keep it for your records, along with documentation of what you paid.

Here's more info on Form 1099-Q

@jzollinger-zolli 

Thank you so much, Marilyn. This is helpful and also great news.  But, are there income limitations to 529 plans? What I mean is: if my income exceeds a certain amount, am I required to pay taxes on 1099-Q distributions whether or not they are for qualifying education expenses?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Not as far as Federal taxes are concerned.  If you have a state-specific 529 plan, there may be some state restrictions.

Here's some info related to 529 State Limits. 

@jzollinger-zolli 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies