turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn’t receive my 1098 T because I’m not required to file, I received a grant for one semester and paid for another out of my pocket. I’m not sure how much the grant was but it’s

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I didn’t receive my 1098 T because I’m not required to file, I received a grant for one semester and paid for another out of my pocket. I’m not sure how much the grant was but it’s

Not getting a 1098-T has absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with your requirement to file. A 1098-T is issued if certain criteria are met that requires the school to issue a 1098-T. It has nothing to do with "your" filing requirements.

More than likely the school was not required to issue you a 1098-T. But you still need to check your online college account in the financials section to see if an electronic 1098-T was issued. If so, then you need to send your parents a copy of that 1098-T.

If you are not required to file then that means you have less than $12,300 of earned income. Therefore, assuming you are an undergraduate in 2019 that was under the age of 24, that also means your parent's qualify to claim you as a dependent on their tax return. Additionally, your parent's reports all education expenses regardless of who paid them, and your parents will qualify for any and all education credits for which the criteria is met.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies