jenney-pauer

I attended college level courses. It wasn't for a degree but it was professional development as a teacher. Can I deduct this?

Hal_Al

Maybe.

Starting in 2018, job expenses, for regular W-2 employees, including continuing education (professional development) are no longer deductible. Even in the "old days"  you only got to deduct that portion of  your misc. itemized deductions deductions that exceeded 2% of your AGI,  and then only if your total  itemized deductions exceeded the standard deduction (which was doubled under the 2018 tax law. 

But, if the courses were for college credit, at an eligible institution that may qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit or the Tuition and Fees Deduction (TFD) . 

Hal_Al

Maybe.

Carl

My interpretation of your post is different. I don't see this as an education expense, but as a job related expense. Please read Tax Topic 513 to help you determine if you can deduct these work related expenses.