Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

boldgem20

I am trying to enter a 1099-NEC that I received for a one time participation in a research study at a University. How do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I am trying to enter a 1099-NEC that I received for a one time participation in a research study at a University. How do I do that?

Type '1099-NEC' in the Search area, then 'Jump to 1099-NEC'.

Enter the info reported on your form, and the reason you received the income, on the next screens. 

On the page 'Do Any of These Uncommon Situations Apply?' choose, 'This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, it is from a sporadic activity or hobby'.

That's it! 

Here's more info on Form 1099-NEC

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When you report that form enter that you don’t have a profit motive or a business. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

The IRS considers anything on a form 1099-NEC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099 income, at 1099-MISC and Other Common income / income from a 1099-NEC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C  for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $432.  If you try reporting the income as anything else, you chances of hearing from the IRS are higher. 

That said, your situation is not uncommon. If you feel this income is more like a stipend, 

Enter at Educational Expenses and Scholarships, under Deductions and credits (not the income section).

After answering no to having a 1098-T*, answer yes to qualifying for an exception (that gets you to the entry screens). You will have to go thru the whole education interview to get to the scholarship screen. At the scholarship screen, enter the amount of the grant. When asked if any was used for room and board, answer yes. Then enter the amount you want to be taxable (usually all of it), in the pop up box. R&B are not "qualified educational  expenses".  So, this is how you tell TT that it is taxable. Note the wording at that screen “or other expenses”. You didn’t have to literally use the scholarship for R&B.  This will put it on line 8r of Schedule 1 (this line is new for 2022-3).

*If you do have a 1098-T, one of the follow-up questions will be do you have any scholarships not shown on the 1098-T. Enter the additional scholarship/stipend there.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies