Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am paying on a college loan for my son that i am co-signer on...who is no longer a dependant. Turbo tax says I cant deduct the interest...I was able to do it last year.

I have a 1098-E which he did not claim on his taxes because I am paying the bill
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am paying on a college loan for my son that i am co-signer on...who is no longer a dependant. Turbo tax says I cant deduct the interest...I was able to do it last year.

If he was a dependent when you took out the loan, and you are also legally liable for repayment (i.e. co-signor), and you actually paid the interest, then you are allowed to take the deduction for the interest paid.

Now, when you go to enter this information, make sure you select "You" when it asks you about the loan.  The question in the 1098E section is not asking whose name is on the form, it is asking whose name is on the loan (which as a co-signor would also be you).  Don't select "someone else" or it will disallow the deduction.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If he was a dependent when you took out the loan, and you are also legally liable for repayment (i.e. co-signor), and you actually paid the interest, then you are allowed to take the deduction for the interest paid.

Now, when you go to enter this information, make sure you select "You" when it asks you about the loan.  The question in the 1098E section is not asking whose name is on the form, it is asking whose name is on the loan (which as a co-signor would also be you).  Don't select "someone else" or it will disallow the deduction.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies