Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am not sure what my student enrollment status. I was enrolled full-time but only from January to the end of April because I graduated in April. What would my status be?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

I am not sure what my student enrollment status. I was enrolled full-time but only from January to the end of April because I graduated in April. What would my status be?

Q.  I was enrolled full-time but only from January to the end of April because I graduated in April. Was I a full time student for 2023. 

A. January to April did not cover  parts of 5 calendar months, you were not considered a full time student for 2023.  If you had graduated May 1st, you would be a FTS for 2023. 

But, being a full time student usually only affects whether you can be claimed as a dependent, on someone else's tax return, under the Qualifying child dependent rules.  You are still eligible for a tuition credit, regardless of how long you were enrolled in school. 

In the Personal Info section of TurboTax (TT), you answer that you were not a full time student in 2023.  In the educational expenses section, when asked for your status, you check full time. Actually, you only need to be half time or more to claim the main tuition credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies