Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am full time college student since 2021. I purchased a laptop for school purposes in 2021 but I recently got to know that I could have used this purchase as a necessary expense for student. Can I use this purchase to offset expense in the tax year 2023?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

I am full time college student since 2021. I purchased a laptop for school purposes in 2021 but I recently got to know that I could have used this purchase as a necessary expense for student. Can I use this purchase to offset expense in the tax year 2023?

Q. I purchased a laptop for school purposes in 2021 but I recently got to know that I could have used this purchase as a necessary expense for student. Can I use this purchase to offset expense in the tax year 2023?

A. No. But, if you didn't get the maximum credit*, back in 2021, you can file an amended 2021 return to claim that expense, for more credit. 

*The American Opportunity Credit is 100% of the first $2000 and 25% of the 2nd $2000.  It is 40% refundable (up to $1000). The remaining 60% ($1500 max) can only be used to offset your tax liability. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies