turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lizharo

I am concerned about Income tax garnishment for Student loans. I have read articles stating that no student loans are being collected until August of 2020. Is this true?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I am concerned about Income tax garnishment for Student loans. I have read articles stating that no student loans are being collected until August of 2020. Is this true?

There is no provision in the new CARES Act which prevents the IRS from offsetting your refund for delinquent student loans.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

here is a good article from a reputable source that explains the impact on student loans

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2020/03/26/heres-what-the-stimulus-doesand-does-notdo-for-st...

broc8068

Though MinhT1 is technically correct about no provisions preventing the IRS from offsetting, the article he posted does state the following regarding the dept of educations collection of tax refund offsets..

"The Department of Education   and will cease wage garnishments, Social Security offsets, and tax refund seizures,"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies