Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report qualified education expenses on both my daughter and my return

I have read a lot of similar situations in this community posts however I'm still a little confused.

Received 1098 T with box 1  $31,000 and box 5   $42,000

Paid out of pocket for books and materials: Bought from the school $800

Bought not from school  $ 1,000

I reported the 1098 T on my daughter's return and TurboTax calculated the taxable scholarship

$11,000 and showed it on Schedule 1 on line 8r

On my return, I reported the $ 1,800 out-of-pocket qualified education expenses and got some AOTC.

Question: Is the $1,800 out-of-pocket qualified expenses need to be deducted from my daughters

return?    $11,000 - $1,800 = 9,200. Instead of 11,000 should  it be $9,200

If the $1,800 need to be reported on my daughters return then do I need to remove that amount from my return?

1. Do I need to reduce the taxable shcolarchip by $1,800 on my daugthers return

2. If so where do I show that amount on my daughters return

3. Do I need to remove the $1,800 from my return

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Bsch4477 I did exactly what you suggested and got $1500 non-refundable and $1000 refundable education credit. Also, my daughter had to pay kiddie taxes based on the information on my return.  I was stuck on I needed to report exactly what is on 1098-T, now I understand the 1098-T form is for informational purposes and we can report different numbers from those that I see on the form.   Thank you both ( @Bsch4477 )for the help and a clear explanation of the points that I needed to understand.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Did your student have any other income apart from the scholarship and if so how much and what source?

She got a W2 for $10,250

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Does the $1,800 out-of-pocket qualified expenses need to be deducted from my daughters

return?

A. No.  You've essentially done it right, but there are some options.

The best option is for you to use some of the box 1 amount to claim more of the AOTC.  You need $4000 total expenses to get the maximum $2500 AOTC. The first $2000 of expenses gets you 100% credit. The next $2000 gets you 25%.  

For you to claim $4000 total expenses (including $2200 of tuition from box 1 of the 1098-T), your daughter will need to report $13, 200 of taxable scholarship (instead of only $11,000).   

Scholarships are a hybrid between earned and unearned income. It is earned income for purposes of the $13,850 filing requirement and the dependent standard deduction calculation (earned income + $400, up to $13,850).  It is not earned income for the kiddie tax and other purposes (e.g. EIC ).  

Q.  Do I need to reduce the taxable scholarships by $1,800 on my daughters return.

A. No, you do not "need to" (have to). But, it is an option. 

Q. If so where do I show that amount on my daughters return?

A. After entering the 1098-T, there is a follow up question about other expenses. 

Q.  Do I need to remove the $1,800 from my return.

A. Yes, but only if you use it as an expenses on her return. As previously stated, it is usually better if the parent claims educational expenses on their return. 

Another issue:

Q. Can your daughter claim  the AOTC on her return?

A. Usually not. But In your/her case, yes, because she has a tax liability.  But it's most likely best if you claim it instead. 

While technically there is a provision that allows your student-dependent to claim a federal tuition credit, from a practical matter it seldom works out.  A student, under age 24, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit (AOTC) if he/she supports himself by working. She cannot be supporting herself on student loans & grants and 529 plans and parental support.  It is usually best if the parent claims that credit.  

If the student actually has a tax liability, there is a provision to allow him to claim a non-refundable tuition credit. But then the parent must forgo claiming the student as a dependent, and the $500 other dependent credit.  The student must still indicate that he can be claimed as a dependent, on his return. This is worth up to $2500 (AOTC shifts to all non refundable)

Hal_Al
Level 15

There is a tax “loop hole” available to claim an education credit, for the parents of students on scholarship. The student reports all his scholarship, up to the amount needed to claim the American Opportunity Credit (AOC), as income on his return. That way, the parents  (or himself, if he is not a dependent) can claim the tuition credit on their return. They can do this because that much tuition was no longer paid by "tax free" scholarship.  You cannot do this if the school’s billing statement specifically shows the scholarships being applied to tuition or if the conditions of the grant are that it be used to pay for qualified expenses.

Using your example: Student has $42,000 in box 5 of the 1098-T and $31,000 in box 1. At first glance she has $11,000 of taxable income and nobody can claim the American opportunity credit. But if she reports $15,000 as income on her return, the parents can claim $4000 of qualified expenses on their return.

Books and computers are also qualifying expenses for the AOC. So, extending the example, the student had another $1800 in expenses for those course materials, paid out of pocket, she would only need to report $13,200 of taxable scholarship income, instead of $15,000.

The IRS actually encourages use of this technique. From the form 1040 instructions: “You may be able to increase an education credit if the student chooses to include all or part of a Pell grant or certain other scholarships or fellowships in income. For more information, see Pub. 970, the instructions for Form 1040 and IRS.gov/EdCredit".  PUB 970 even has examples of how to do the “loop hole”.

To accomplish what @Hal_Al correctly suggested do this. 
 Remember that the 1098-T is an informational form so you c

a report values that differ from those that you see on the form. In the student’s return in the 1098-T form in the program enter 32800 in Box 1 which represents total qualified education expenses. In Box 5 enter 46000 which accounts for the increase in the student’s taxable scholarship amount. Look on line 8 of her 1040 and you should see the 13200 of taxable income mentioned by Hal_Al. Be sure that you checked the box on her return saying that someone else will claim her. 

Now on your return in the education credit section just enter 4000 as expenses. You don’t have to do anything else and you should see your 2500 credit. Note that on her return there will be Kiddie tax which needs information from your return to complete. 

@Bsch4477 I did exactly what you suggested and got $1500 non-refundable and $1000 refundable education credit. Also, my daughter had to pay kiddie taxes based on the information on my return.  I was stuck on I needed to report exactly what is on 1098-T, now I understand the 1098-T form is for informational purposes and we can report different numbers from those that I see on the form.   Thank you both ( @Bsch4477 )for the help and a clear explanation of the points that I needed to understand.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies