Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file taxes as an int'l freshman student studying remotely but enrolled at US college (I don't have a visa yet), and I get scholarship in excess of tuition?

Due to COVID, my school has allowed me to study remotely. I have been studying remotely my entire freshman year so I do not have a F-1 or J-1 visa and I do receive scholarship in excess of tuition and fees from my school.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

How to file taxes as an int'l freshman student studying remotely but enrolled at US college (I don't have a visa yet), and I get scholarship in excess of tuition?

If you are not a US citizen or resident alien, you would complete form 1040NR to report your scholarship income. You cannot do that in TurboTax, you but you can use Sprintax to prepare form 1040NR, here is a link:

https://www.sprintax.com/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for responding! I began trying to file with Sprintax, however, I ran into some issues when the system started to ask for visa information. I do not have an F1 visa as I’ve never been to the US physically for study. The Sprintax agent said I would not be able to file with them without a visa. Do you have any more suggestions? @ThomasM125 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can complete form 1040-NR online by yourself and mail it to the IRS, here is a link to the form and instructions:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040-nr

Thank you so much!!!!!

and for the identifying number that the form needs, can I fill out a W-7 for an ITIN? (can you get an ITIN even though you’re not in the US?) 

I appreciate all your help so far! @ThomasM125 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

For nonresident filing, please contact Sprintax

You should be able to apply for ITIN while not in the US.  To see details for W-7, click here: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7

Thank you Lina! @LinaJ2020 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies