Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file for educational expenses when the foreign university does not have a Federal ID # and have not issued 1098-T for the educational expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How to file for educational expenses when the foreign university does not have a Federal ID # and have not issued 1098-T for the educational expenses?

If the university is not a qualified education institution you can’t receive education credit. The school should be able to tell you if it qualifies. Or you can check here. 

https://ope.ed.gov/dapip/

Thanks for your response. The school Massey University in New Zealand is qualified for getting financial aid through FAFSA. But they told that they don't have a U.S. federal ID.

So, my question is if there is a way to enter educational expenses and get deduction or credit based on the money transfer documation that I have with me.

I checked the irs database and your school is an eligible education institution. 

When you get to the 1098-T entry, you can say that you don't have a 1098-T and there is an exception. The program will then let you enter the expenses without the form. And, you will not need an EIN.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies