Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter employer tuition reimbursement over $5250?

I paid $8601.75 paid in tuition and my employer reimbursed me for all of it. $8601.75 is listed in box 1 on my 1098-T. I know $5250 was nontaxable, and the remaining 5545.75 was included as income in box 1 of my W-2. How do I enter this in TurboTax?

1. I entered the info from my 1098-T (with 8601.75 in box 1). I'm still supposed to enter this full value, correct?

2. I went to "Scholarships/Grants (for all schools)" > "Let us know if you got a scholarship, grant or any of these other types of aid" > I said YES for this. 

3. It says "Enter the amount you received. Don't include amounts already listed on a W-2 or other tax form." I'm not clear on whether the $5545.75 was technically "listed" on the W2 since it was lumped in with the rest of my income. In the "Employer-Provided Assistance" box, is this where I put $5250? Or is is $5545.76? 

I'm assuming it's supposed to be $5250 because the federal refund is a greater amount when I enter this (compared to $5545.76).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

How to enter employer tuition reimbursement over $5250?

It's not clear where $ 5545.75 is coming from, since 8601.75 - 5250 = only 3351.75.

Q.  I entered the info from my 1098-T (with 8601.75 in box 1). I'm still supposed to enter this full value, correct?

A. Yes. But, for simplicity, it's OK to enter the net paid  ($3352)and not deal with the rest of the complicated interview.

Q.  I went to "Scholarships/Grants (for all schools)" > "Let us know if you got a scholarship, grant or any of these other types of aid" > I said YES for this.  Correct?

A. No. It's not scholarship. You'll get a separate question/entry for employer assistance. Enter $5250. 

Q.  I'm not clear on whether the $5545.75 was technically "listed" on the W2 since it was lumped in with the rest of my income?

A. Yes, it is included/listed.  It's always done that way (lumped in with your other wages).

Q. In the "Employer-Provided Assistance" box, is this where I put $5250? Or is is $5545.76? 

A. $5250.  Only the tax free part in entered there. For purpose of this section of TurboTax, the assistance that was taxed is not considered assistance.  It's considered you taxed income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies