Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I handle 2 refunds from my son's university... one was refund of a credit balance due to scholarship payment after we had paid all of his semester balance, and the other was due to a housing and dining partial refund due to term withdrawal?

I have 2 refunds from my son's university that I don't know how to handle in TurboTax.  He is 19 years old and was a full time college student in 2022.  We paid for his spring 2022 semester in December 2021 so that was handled on our 2021 taxes.  Then in early 2022, a scholarship payment was made directly to the university which caused an overpayment.  So the university issued us a check in February 2022.  The scholarship money was allowed to be used for tuition, books, housing, meals, etc.  The second refund was later in the same semester due to a term withdrawal, and the university refunded us for partial housing and dining.  My son did return to the university for the fall 2022 semester.   We did have a 529 plan distribution which I have already entered in TurboTax.  I am now at the question asking "did you receive a refund of qualified higher education expenses?"  I think I would answer this "No" because the scholarship was not required to be used for qualified expenses and the other refund was for housing & dining.  Here are our numbers (I've rounded to try to simplify):

529 distribution: $4,400.

1098-T:    Box 1 $3,500.,    Box 5  $1,200. (scholarship)

room and board paid in 2022:   $5,100.

refund due to credit/overpayment:   $1,200.

partial housing/dining refund:   $1,300

We have used AOTC previously but I don't know if we can use any of that this year or just the 529 distribution.  I definitely need some guidance! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

How do I handle 2 refunds from my son's university... one was refund of a credit balance due to scholarship payment after we had paid all of his semester balance, and the other was due to a housing and dining partial refund due to term withdrawal?

The housing/dining refund is no big deal.  You leave that off.  You can't deduct the payments for that so you don't have to report the refunds.

The return of the tuition is different, unfortunately.  You deducted that in a prior year and it was returned to you.  So you will need to report it as received in 2022 in order to reverse the deduction that you took in 2021.  Even though the scholarship didn't have to be used for qualified expenses the deduction that you took was for them.  So enter the $1200 in refunds received.

@T4Tax 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the response.  Both refunds were related to the spring 2022 semester which was billed to us and which we also paid in 2021.  We listed both the payments for qualified education expenses as well as housing and dining amounts in TurboTax for our 2021 taxes because we were able to use our 529 distribution for housing and dining, so I didn't understand how we would know to consider the scholarship refund amount as "qualified education expenses" or not.  One way or another, we did account for the expenses on our 2021 tax return.  So would I still enter the $1200 as refunds received for qualified expenses?

Also, I do plan to enter the housing and dining amounts for the fall 2022 semester in education expenses in Turbo Tax because of our 2022 1099-Q.   Do I still leave the housing and dining refund off since it was paid for in 2021? 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Since the refund is in reference to the first three months of 2022, but was paid in 2021, you have the option of "recapturing" the credit from your 2021 return or lowering your 2022 expenses. 

To "Recapture" the credit, you basically figure your 2021 return with the adjustments for the refunds. If your tax liability would have been different, you would claim that difference as income for 2022.

The refunds may not have changed your 2021 tax liability, it depends on HOW MUCH excess expenses you had to apply towards a credit and the distribution. 

Don't forget about books and other supplies. Books, supplies and housing are not normally reported on a 1098-T. 

If you decide to just lower the expenses for 2022, you can make the adjustments yourself by changing the numbers on the 1098-T if needed. For example, if you are claiming the 1,200 tuition refund on your 2022 return, click the "What if this is not what I paid" link under Box 1 on the 1098-T screen and enter 2,300. (3,500 - 1,200) 

You don't say what you paid in 2021 for Room and Board, so I don't know how the 1,300 refund would affect the 2021 distribution. Looks like you paid 700 more Room and Board expense than distribution in 2022, so apply that to 2021 and then perhaps only 600 is in question for the 2021 distribution. Again, I don't know what was paid in 2021. 

According to the IRS:

"If you pay qualified education expenses in both 2021 and 2022 for an academic period that begins in the first 3 months of 2022 and you receive tax-free educational assistance, or a refund, as described above, you may choose to reduce your qualified education expenses for 2022 instead of reducing your expenses for 2021."

Pub 970

@T4Tax 

Thank you for the reply.  I want to make sure I get this right.  Am I understanding correctly that I can adjust my 2021 education calculations based on these 2 refunds since they were for the spring 2022 semester which we had paid for in December 2021?  For our 2021 return, we had plenty of excess education expenses to make these 2 refund adjustments without it changing our tax liability.  Here are the 2021 numbers:

1098-T:    Box 1   $7,000.    Box 5:  0 (no scholarship)

We applied $4,000. to the AOTC

room and board paid in 2021:    $10,200.

529 distribution:   $5,000.

With the adjustments for the 2 refunds, we still have excess expenses based on my calculations, right?

If so, can I leave the 2 refunds off of our 2022 taxes and make no adjustments for them?

(In this case, I would not adjust the 1098-T Box 1 number AND I would answer "no" to the question "did you receive a refund of qualified education expenses?" on TurboTax for my 2022 tax return?  Is this correct?)

Also, if I adjust/reduce the education expenses for 2021, is it ok that one adjustment is due to a scholarship and one due to housing/dining?  Your quote from the IRS indicates qualified education expenses, so I wanted to be sure.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

YES, you have it figured out correctly. 

Since you were able to look at your 2021 expenses and see that the refunds would NOT adjust your credit and NOT adjust your distribution, you needn't make adjustments for 2021 and you needn't claim anything for 2022. 

The refunds are irrelevant for both years. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies