Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alia3

How do I force TurboTax to use the Lifetime Learning Credit instead of the American Opportunity Credit for my student?

TurboTax decided to maximize my deductions and chose the American Opportunity Credit for my children instead of the Lifetime Learning Credit.  However, my children are doing dual enrollment currently and still have four years of full-time postsecondary education.  I would rather save the American Opportunity Credit for the years they will be full-time at college.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

How do I force TurboTax to use the Lifetime Learning Credit instead of the American Opportunity Credit for my student?

In the Search box type the word letme (just like that, with no space), then click the link that says "Jump to letme." That will take you to a screen where you can select which education credit you want to use. And you don't have to say that your children have felony drug convictions.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

You might try this:

1. Indicate in the education interview that your child had a felony conviction

2. It was for a controlled substance

This will make the child ineligible for the American Opportunity Credit but is still eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

From what I can see, this "fact" does not show up in your tax return.

Try it and see.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In the Search box type the word letme (just like that, with no space), then click the link that says "Jump to letme." That will take you to a screen where you can select which education credit you want to use. And you don't have to say that your children have felony drug convictions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies