Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I find "student college grant and scholarship aid reported to the IRS in your parents' income' on my parents' 1040 form (I am a college student filling out FAFSA)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

How do I find "student college grant and scholarship aid reported to the IRS in your parents' income' on my parents' 1040 form (I am a college student filling out FAFSA)?

Student  grant and scholarship aid are NOT reported to the IRS in your parents' income.  You will not find that on their form 1040.

Scholarships used for qualified educational expenses (QEE) (tuition, fees and course materials) are tax free and not reported on tax returns.  Scholarships used for room and board, travel and other personal expenses is taxable income.  The taxable portion of scholarships is reported on the student's tax return (not the parents'), even if the student is still his parent's' dependent.  The taxable scholarship should show on line 1 of the 2018 form 1040 with the notation SCH.  Prior to 2018, SCH was on line 7 of form 1040 or 1040A or line 1 of form 1040EZ

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If you'll log into your college student account and go to the financials section, you'll find all you need there. If you have scholarships/grants and you didn't report them on your tax return, then your parents had to report them. If you were claimed as a dependent on your parent's tax return then with very very *VERY* few exceptions, your parents would have reported them on their tax return.

You can also ask your parents as they should be able to provide you that information from their own return, directly.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Student  grant and scholarship aid are NOT reported to the IRS in your parents' income.  You will not find that on their form 1040.

Scholarships used for qualified educational expenses (QEE) (tuition, fees and course materials) are tax free and not reported on tax returns.  Scholarships used for room and board, travel and other personal expenses is taxable income.  The taxable portion of scholarships is reported on the student's tax return (not the parents'), even if the student is still his parent's' dependent.  The taxable scholarship should show on line 1 of the 2018 form 1040 with the notation SCH.  Prior to 2018, SCH was on line 7 of form 1040 or 1040A or line 1 of form 1040EZ

Big_Mac

Great answer! It took a lot of searches to find this just to find out it was on line 1, lol. Thank you!

Carl
Level 15

Unless things have changed since my day, both the student and the parent can (???) create their own accounts on the fafsa website to access the same application. The student logs on and enter's their information and any other information they already know. Then the parents log on with their account credentials and complete their part of the application.

At least, that's how it worked when my kids were in college.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies