turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I calculate NJ Tuition Deduction amount (New Jersey Institution of Higher Education Tuition)? Also, do I subtract scholarship amount?

This is what I can find from NJ website: If you, your spouse, or your dependent enroll in and attend a New Jersey institution of higher education, you can deduct up to $10,000 for tuition costs.
Does this mean -- I can deduct the amount I used for tuition costs? (e.g., If I paid $5000 for tuition costs, I get an deduction of $5000?) Also, do I subtract scholarship amount for this? (e.g., enter $3000 if I received $2000 scholarship, in the case described earlier?) Sorry for such a stupid question, if this is too obvious and thank you in advance!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

How do I calculate NJ Tuition Deduction amount (New Jersey Institution of Higher Education Tuition)? Also, do I subtract scholarship amount?

Actually, a very good question. Not enough people think all the way through the scholarship. The scholarship money either paid for living expenses or tuition. The money you paid towards tuition counts for the  deduction. Whatever proof you have

Reference:

NJ Division of Taxation - New Jersey College Affordability Act

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, I will go ahead and enter the entire amount that was paid for the tuition. 

IT48

Is information from form 1098-T, which I entered for Federal Return, automatically transferred to NJ State Return? Or I have to re-enter deduction again on the New Jersey Institution of Higher Education Tuition?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You need to enter the NJ tuition paid as it has different rules and allows more options for paying the tuition. You can enter up to $10,000 of your qualified expenses.

@IT48 

IT48

Thanks, @AmyC !

What expenses are qualified under NJ tuition paid? Only direct out of pocket payments made to school for tuition OR tuition-related such as books and materials?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Tuition alone. NJ instructions state:

Line 37c – If you, your spouse, or your dependent enroll in or attend a New Jersey institution of higher education, you can deduct up to $10,000 for tuition costs paid during the year.

@IT48 

IT48

Thanks again, @AmyC !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies