Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I'm an immigrant and I need to buy a new computer. Considering that I am a university student and I work to pay for my studies, can I have deductions in January 2022?

If so, will I just have to enter the receipt details when filling the 2021 taxes?
*I'm not claimed by my parents.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Hi, I'm an immigrant and I need to buy a new computer. Considering that I am a university student and I work to pay for my studies, can I have deductions in January 2022?

No, there is no tax deduction available to students for the purchase of a computer.  If you are self-employed, and use the computer for work, you can take a deduction, but other than that, it's eligible for a tax deduction.

Your purchase could qualify for a tax credit, but only if your computer is a necessary requirement for enrollment or attendance at an educational institution.  If you are using the computer simply out of convenience, it most likely does not qualify for a tax credit.

For more information on Education Tax Credits see What education tax credits are available?

[Edited 5/2/2021 9:45 PM EDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies