Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

beaubien24
Returning Member

Hello I was asked to choose a number for the large education credit and I am confused on what to enter and how to enter an accurate number?

I was asked this after entering all my information as a recipient for the 529 plan. It's asking that in my case I can provide a maximum education credit of $4000 in my case or to either put a number between 2,650- 4,000 to receive the best results or enter 0 to treat this as non-taxable. If i could just get more information on this and help me understand this concept better so I can enter this information accurately.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Hello I was asked to choose a number for the large education credit and I am confused on what to enter and how to enter an accurate number?

The 529 goes to room and board along with tuition, book, etc. If all of it was used, it is not taxable and not entered. Unless you want some of it to be taxable. It is best to have the 529 allocated to room and board, or other expenses, if possible.

To receive the AOTC credit, you must have spent money on tuition that isn't tax free. Which could mean making some of your 529 taxable.

Example:

• $15,000 529 distribution. $12,000 went to room and board with $3,000 towards tuition, books, etc.
  • 1098T shows $12,000 tuition. Plus you have additional expenses of $1,000 for books and miscellaneous.
  • The 529 paid $3,000 towards the tuition and books. If we subtract the $3,000 from the amount paid for tuition and books, we have $13,000- $3,000 = $10,000 actually spent out of pocket.
  • Any amount over $4,000 for tuition expenses paid out of pocket is extra, not needed for calculating the AOTC.*
  • In this case, the 529 does not affect your AOTC. Delete the 1099-Q.

*The AOTC is worth up to $2,500 per student for the first $4,000 you spend on qualifying educational expenses on behalf of you, your spouse, or your dependents. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Provide the following info for more specific help:

• Are you the student or parent.
  • Is the  student  the parent's dependent.
  • Box 1 of the 1098-T
  • box 5 of the 1098-T
  • Any other scholarships not shown in box 5
  • Does box 5 include any of the 529/ESA plan payments (it should not)
  • Is any of the Scholarship restricted; i.e. it must be used for tuition
  • Box 1 of the 1099-Q
  • Box 2 of the 1099-Q
  • Who’s name and SS# are on the 1099-Q, parent or student (who’s the “recipient”)?
  • Room & board paid. If student lives off campus, what is school's R&B on campus charge. If he lives at home, the school’s R&B “allowance for cost of attendance” for student living with parents.
  • Other qualified expenses not included in box 1 of the 1098-T, e.g. books & computers
  • How much taxable income does the student have, from what sources
  • Are you trying to claim the tuition credit (are you eligible)?
  • Is the student an undergrad or grad student?
  • Is the student a degree candidate attending school half time or more?
beaubien24
Returning Member

I am the student and I am an undergraduate student attending more than half-time and seeking to claim the tax credit.  I am not a dependent anymore. My box 1 for my 1098-t  is 14,601.68. and my box 5 is $1500. There are no other scholarships shown in box 5 and also 529 payments were not used for this. For the 1099-Q my box 1 is 12,164.74 and box 2 is 2,936.89. The student is the recipient on the 1099-q but the parent ss# is on the form. The student is living off-campus and the other qualified expenses like books and materials are around $500 which the student pays for.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. I was asked to choose a number for the large education credit and I am confused on what to enter and how to enter an accurate number?

A. It's trying to help you allocate expenses between the 529 distribution and the Tuition credit, for the best result because you don't have enough expenses for both.  But you do have enough expenses, if you add room & board.  Read on for how to handle this. 

"The student is the recipient on the 1099-q but the parent ss# is on the form. "

That can't be, unless the plan registration is wrong. But , it won't matter. You won't be entering the 1099-Q. 

You don't say how much room and board you had or what the school's allowance for attendance is. But it doesn't matter.  Based, on your other numbers, your R&B is bound to be enough that the the 1099-Q is not taxable. 

Delete the 1099-Q. 

You can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if the student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit (we've done that).   

References:

1. On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 
  2. IRS Pub 970 states: “Generally, distributions are tax free if they aren't more than the beneficiary's AQEE for the year. Don't report tax-free distributions (including qualifying rollovers) on your tax return”.

Also delete the 1098-T  to clear the old background calcs.  Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click delete next to the student's name.  You'll then get the "Your Education Expenses Summary" screen again.  Click the "Add a student" button.  Re-enter the 1098-T.  Without the 1099-Q, it will give you the maximum credit and not ask that confusing  "larger credit" question. 

I assume "attending more than half-time" means less than full time.  A full time unmarried student, under age 24, even if you don't qualify as a dependent, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit (AOTC) if he supports himself by working (unless he's an orphan). You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants. It is usually best if the parent claims that credit. 

beaubien24
Returning Member

I am a full-time student and I am also unmarried, but based on your response you think the best thing for me to do in my situation would be to have my parent claim the 1099-q form and take off the 529 portion on my tax forms,  and just re-enter my 1098-t forms.  Also, what does the refundable tax portion mean in my situation? And should I still be qualified for the AOC and go through with it? Also,  as a part of my 1098-t forms, I will be re-entering my expenses for what my 529 plan doesn't cover which is (books, and required materials).

Hal_Al
Level 15

Forget about the 1099-Q. Nobody needs to enter it.  If you do not have any other income such that you have a tax liability, you will not get any AOC (if you are under 24).  If your parent can claim you as a dependent, they should do so to get the AOC (both refundable and non refundable portions).

beaubien24
Returning Member

I work part-time too, I should've mentioned this previously so does that automatically qualify me since its tax liability?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. I work part-time too, I should've mentioned this previously so does that automatically qualify me since its tax liability?

A. No. More than half your total support, for the year. must come from your earned income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies