Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

plcedziu

My son goes to college & h.s. He's getting an AS deg. 1098T checks Box8, Box5 is $41 more than Box1, Box2 is 0. Want to save credits for later. How do I answer TurboTax?

He gets his degree right before he graduates high school in May. I want to save the credits when he does go to pursue further college. I need help answering the Turbo Tax questions.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My son goes to college & h.s. He's getting an AS deg. 1098T checks Box8, Box5 is $41 more than Box1, Box2 is 0. Want to save credits for later. How do I answer TurboTax?

If he is attending both High School as well as taking College classes, it is doubtful that he is considered as "At least half-time" college student, but that would be noted on the 1098-T so regardless, answer the questions carefully. If the program suggests a credit that you would rather save for another year, type   letme   into the search box. This allows you to change or opt-out of an education credit. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If he is attending both High School as well as taking College classes, it is doubtful that he is considered as "At least half-time" college student, but that would be noted on the 1098-T so regardless, answer the questions carefully. If the program suggests a credit that you would rather save for another year, type   letme   into the search box. This allows you to change or opt-out of an education credit. 

plcedziu

He is part of the Dual Enrollment program in Tennessee, and the box is checked on the 1098T for "at least half time student". He completes his major classes at the community college, and goes to his high school in the afternoon for his minor classes such as shop, spanish, and band.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies