Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

H4 visa - American opportunity credit ?

Spouse on H4 Visa entered USA on may 2022. I am on H1B since 5 years, total 8 years in USA. I am a resident alien, assuming my wife is also a resident alien if we are filing taxes jointly. I paid for my spouse online master's education for fall sem and she did get a 1098-T form. Now in the turbo-tax or any other questionnaires they are asking if my spouse completed first 4 years of post-secondary education before 2022 ? She has a 3 year bachelor degree from India and worked for 2 years. She didn't study 4 years post secondary to get her bachelor degree and now she is in graduate school online. Is she eligible for American opportunity credit or at least lifetime learning credit ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, she won't be eligible for the American Opportunity Credit if she is in graduate school but she might qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Please see What education tax credits are available? for additional information.

Yes, your wife is considered to be a resident for tax purposes because she met the Substantial Presence Test in 2022. Also, residents can choose to treat the nonresident as a resident and file a joint tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, she won't be eligible for the American Opportunity Credit if she is in graduate school but she might qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Please see What education tax credits are available? for additional information.

Yes, your wife is considered to be a resident for tax purposes because she met the Substantial Presence Test in 2022. Also, residents can choose to treat the nonresident as a resident and file a joint tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies