Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Graduate Student with Scholarship and paid by university for research with no other income

I was a graduate student for one semester to finalize my master degree, and did not pay tuition as my scholarship covered full tuition.  I did receive stipend payments from the university for my research efforts in the form of 1098-T.  I did not receive a W-2 from the university.  Do I need to file taxes for 2023 if I did not hold any other job and did not receive W-2 for income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Graduate Student with Scholarship and paid by university for research with no other income

Q.  Do I need to file taxes for 2023 if I did not hold any other job and did not receive W-2 for income?

A. Yes. But, only if the stipends totaled more than $13,850 The $13,850 threshold applies whether you were a dependent or not. 

$13,850 is the income filing threshold for a Single non dependent.  A dependent's filing threshold is the greater of  $1250 or his earned income plus $400 (up to $13,850). 

Scholarships/Stipends are a hybrid between earned and unearned income. It is earned income for purposes of the $13,850 filing requirement and the dependent standard deduction calculation (earned income + $400).  It is not earned income for the kiddie tax and other purposes (e.g. EIC).  For grad students and post grad fellows, scholarship, stipend and fellowship income is earned income ("compensation") for IRA contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies