Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nina115

GI Bill and Lifetime Learning Credit

I'm currently enrolled in a program where the University tuition/fees are paid in full by the GI Bill but I'm covering significant other expenses myself. The school has stated they are not issuing a 1098-T because the total amounts of contract payment (BOX 5) received were greater than tuition and fees (less health insurance and med services fee, BOX 1) paid during the tax year. However, there are high expenses I've had to pay to my specific department and for specialized supplies. Can I claim the Lifetime Learning Credit for those out of pocket expenses, and if so, how do I properly maintain a record of what I spent? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

GI Bill and Lifetime Learning Credit

Q. I've had to pay to my specific department and for specialized supplies. Can I claim the Lifetime Learning Credit for those out of pocket expenses?

A. No.  Books and other course materials are usually qualified expenses for the American Opportunity credit (AOC), but not the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC).  The expenses would only count if you were required to purchase them from the school. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies