Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 8615 resulted in unanticipated tax on parents' untaxed qualified dividend amount

It's a year later and I don't think this issue is resolved yet?

Form 8615 resulted in unanticipated tax on parents' untaxed qualified dividend amount

@wineshopper wrote:

It's a year later and I don't think this issue is resolved yet?

This thread is about a 2019 tax return.    The law and regulations for the 8615 are different for 2020.

Please start a NEW question with *your* problem an details.      I do not want to extend an old thread further.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you @Greenfroggies for this information! I'm having a similar issue and was pulling my hair out trying to find an answer.

Hi, I am having the same issue still for my sons taxes. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@mohitkprasad  This is a pretty old thread. Can we help?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

There was a rule change  for the kiddie tax (form 8615) back in 2018.  Then the rule was changed again.  The above the discussion is about 2018 tax returns prior to the most recent change. 

The current software is accurate.  If you're having a problem. it's not related to the old software problem. 

False. In 2021, the current software is STILL forcing the Schedule D Tax Worksheet on users in Form 8615 when - based on the IRS instructions - it is not applicable. It seems Intuit did not fix this issue.

@username3000 I did the "fill IRS paper work-sheet and form" vs "follow TurboTax step-by-step instructions myself".  Result:  If you follow the steps (fill-in the worksheets) in the IRS Publication you can get to a significantly different tax-to-be-paid result for Form 8615, than if you follow the TT step-by-step.  In my particular case, the correct tax was over 25% lower than what TT had suggested vis step-by-step.  - -So it might be worth while to force TT to yield the correct result.

Here is how: 

Background:

The step-by-step process only asks for the parent's income.  That leaves essential information blank on Form 8615 that impacts the final tax calculated, including whether the parents had long-term or short-term capital gains/losses on their Schedule D, if they had qualified dividend payments, if the child for which 8615 is summitted had siblings by the same parents for which 8615 is submitted, too. Whether those siblings had capital gains, qualified dividends, etc.

Fix:

What you do is to EXIT Step-By-Step when it asks you to (only) enter the parents taxable income and move to FORM mode (that only works if you have the TT desktop program).  There you fill in form 8615 and the multiple worksheets that will be generated as you do so, manually.  Mainly with the information I list above.  To be able to provide the info on the other siblings (if any) you need to have prepared their taxes up to form 8615, as well to have their numbers be calculated as well and finally put into each others forms.

Once you are in Form mode, you will understand what I mean. 

It's easy to file a wrong return following TT step-by-step and fixing it with the program is quite convoluted (probably takes an extra 15-30 minutes per child), but you will notice that is the case for many tax areas that are not very commonly used once you use the program a bit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies