Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entered my son as a dependent and entered his tuition information from the college. It will not let me file until I attach him, which I did, not sure what to change?

It keeps saying he needs to be attached to the 1098-T wks for his college.  I am not sure what I did wrong.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Entered my son as a dependent and entered his tuition information from the college. It will not let me file until I attach him, which I did, not sure what to change?

Q.  It will not let me file until I attach him, which I did, not sure what to change?

A.  I assume that "attach him"  means you added him, in the personal info section, as your dependent.  Once he has been added as a dependent, you enter the "Educational expenses and scholarships"  section of "Deductions and Credits".  You identify him as the student and enter his 1098-T. 

You may need to delete the previous educational info entered and start over. Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click delete next to the student's name.  You'll then get the "Your Education Expenses Summary" screen again.  Click the "Add a student" button.

As the parent of a student-dependent, you are allowed to claim the tuition credit based on his educational expenses. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies