turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gwall626

Eligible for Lifetime Learning Credit but can't claim education tax break?

TurboTax said I was eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit, but on the next page aid "You can't claim an education tax break." None of the reasons listed for why I may not qualify apply to me. My income is way under the max, no one can claim me as a dependent, there is taxable income on my return, my scholarship did not exceed my tuition expenses, and I do have a tax balance due. Everything I'm seeing leads me to believe I should be getting this credit. Anyone have some insight as to what I am missing? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Eligible for Lifetime Learning Credit but can't claim education tax break?

One or more of your answers, in the interview, is disqualifying you. 

Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to "Education information" there are several questions that need to be answered to verify the student is meeting all of the requirements.

If that doesn't work, Delete the 1098-T and start over. Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click delete next to the student's name.  You'll then get the "Your Education Expenses Summary" screen again.  Click the "Add a student" button.

But, a lot of people are just not eligible. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/llc

See Also see this TT FAQ https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3383321-why-didn-t-i-get-a-credit-or-deduction-for-education-expen...

Also, in the personal info section, be sure of your questions about being a dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies